BREAKING NEWS: ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER TO ADDRESS NATION AT 8PM LOCAL TIME ON IRAN NUCLEAR THREAT. Here’s what we know so far.
(Jerusalem, Israel) — The news is just breaking here that Prime Minister Netanyahu will speak live to the nation in a televised address at 8 p.m. local time (1 p.m. Eastern).
At this hour, the PM is meeting with his Security Cabinet.
What we’re hearing so far is that the PM will discuss new intelligence Israel has obtained about Iran’s nuclear program and new plots Iran is developing against the State of Israel.
The speech comes at a moment of high tension in the region.
- The Syrian regime continues using chemical weapons against its own people, despite the fact Russian President Putin and then U.S. President Barack Obama assured us all chemical weapons had been removed from Syria.
- Russia and Iran continue to consolidate their military positions in Syria, and to prop up the Assad regime to keep the dictator in power.
- Both the U.S. and Israel have launched air strikes against the Syrian regime and Iranian forces and assets in Syria in recent days and weeks.
- A massive attack at Iranian base near Damascus occurred overnight, though there are conflicting reports as to whether the U.S. or Israel was responsible.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, just days into his new job, has been crisscrossing the region this week — first visiting the King and Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, then coming to Israel to meet with Netanyahu, and today meeting with both Jordan’s King Abdullah II and the Jordanian Foreign Minister.
- At the top of Pompeo’s private agenda — and his public remarks — has been the seriousness of the Iranian threat to the U.S. and our allies in the region.
- Next month, President Trump faces a deadline to either fix or scrap the Iran nuclear deal.